Imagine you would be given $1 million for
- Getting Tim Cook to respond to your cold-email.
- Making Casey Neistat to come on your podcast.
- Have Bill Gates be the first guest of a new video series.
If you’re like me chances are, you’re already looking at other ways for the elusive money.
- They get 1000s of emails (if not more).
- What’s in it for them, anyway (exposure, seriously?).
But, how do I get them?
The answering lies in signalling theory. I recently started reading the Alchemy, where Rory states
… meaning and significance we attach to something is felt in direct proportion to the expense with which it is communicated.
So what does this look in real life?
- A video asking Casey to be part of your podcast.
- A website for the community manager job you wanted.
Makes the receiver wonder
“Damn, if they did [signalling action], can’t imagine how badly they need it”
Want something aspirational? Show it by increasing the perceived value 🙂